Monday, June 11, 2012

Pin-Up Inspired Makeup Tutorial


My day to day makeup often consists of natural and neutral eyes, lips, and cheeks. But the makeup and beauty addict in me loves to dabble in strong brows and red pouts. Pin-Up ladies ooze femininity and confidence while staying classic and desirable. When I think of pin-up, images of curvy women from yesteryear come to mind but the pin-up look can be modern and easy to wear everyday as well. The four most prominent features of a pin-up look are luminous skin, strong brows, flirty lashes, and the signature red lip.

To see the step by step tutorial of how created a wearable pin-up inspired look, check out the video below!


On my skin I started by applying Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer to help mask enlarged pores and imperfections. Benefit's Erase Paste is one of my go-to under eye concealers because it's peach tone helps conceal dark circles better than most other concealers. I applied Revlon's Mineral Mousse Foundation with my fingers all over my face because it is a full coverage, long lasting, and matte formula. I prefer light coverage foundations or tinted moisturizers but flawless skin is a must for this makeup. To set my makeup I used Mac's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural because it adds a bit of coverage and does not look powdery or cakey.

I applied a bit of Revlon's Matte Blush in Perfectly Peach to the apples of my cheeks. For a subtle glow I swept Tarte's Smooth Operator Illuminating Serum with Real Techniques' Pointed Foundation brush to the highest points of my cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose, on my cupid's bow, and my chin.


I prefer a more full and natural brow so for this tutorial I did my normal brow routine which consists of penciling in my natural brow outline. I used The Face Shop's Automatic Eyeliner in Black Brown (yes, it's an eyeliner but it's very waxy and more suitable for brows from my experience).

Instead of using my usual Urban Decay Primer Potion to hold my eye makeup in place, I opted for Benefit's Stay Don't Stray because it has a skintone pigment which helps neutralize redness in the eyes. I made sure to dab a bit of Stay Don't Stray under the arch of my brow to subtly highlight my brows. I kept the eyes natural using a matte brown eyeshadow from Wet n' Wild's Vanity 6 Pan Coloricon Palette on a fluffy blending brush to define the crease. Then I added a bit of the shimmery pale gold from the same palette in the inner corners of my eyes.

I did an exaggerated version of my usual winged eyeliner by taking Physician's Formula Gel Liner on my E.L.F Small Precision Brush. I absolutely love the small precision brush as it makes winging out liner a breeze. I curled my lashes with Koji's No. 73 lash curler and applied generous amounts of Lancome's Doll Eyes Mascara on both my upper and lower lashes. To achieve the flirty eye look I added a few of Ardell's individual lashes to the outer corners of my eyes. I purchased these lashes especially for this look and it took a few minutes to get the hang of how to apply individual falsies but I really liked the subtle effect. My mom couldn't tell I was wearing false lashes at all! Also, individual lashes are a lot more comfortable than a full set of lashes because your eyes are not restricted by the lash band.


For the signature pin-up lip, a red lip color is a must! I've written and talked about the awesome color and formula of Tarte's Lipsurgence Pencil in Swank many times. A few quick swipes and my lips are vibrant, glossy, and most importantly, moisturized. A trick to make your lipstick or lip pencil last longer is to apply a layer, blot on the back of your hand or a tissue, and apply a second layer. I almost always use this method when I wear a bright lip!

Would you wear this look for a day to day affair or only for special occasions? Let me know how you would recreate a pin-up look in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Your skin looks flawless! I would totally wear this on a day to day affair (if I had the time to get ready) lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skin is actually in the midst of some breakouts right now and I edited my photos using Photoshop. My skin does not look flawless in real life, unfortunately. You can see how my skin actually looks in the video though! I would wear this for a more dressy occasion but if I wanted to wear this during the day I'd swap the full coverage foundation with a light tint :)

      Delete