Friday, June 15, 2012

Maybelline Expertwear: Plum Smokes


Long time readers of this blog will know that Maybelline Expertwear shadows are some of my favorite inexpensive shadows that are readily available at the drugstore. I have quite a number of these shadows and I have already done reviews and swatches on all them (click on the Maybelline tag to see these posts!). I saw this quad in Plum Smokes at CVS for 50% off and I had two coupons to use so I broke my makeup spending ban {I lasted over two months and I had other things I had to purchase (hint: lashes for an upcoming tutorial!) so I let myself go a bit} to add to my Expertwear collection. I love all four shades that are included in the palette.

There is a peach champagne, a midtone plum with gold shimmers (similar to Mac Trax), an eggplant shade with a satin finish, and a gorgeous deep brown.


This was my first time trying the new formatted palettes with the different sized pans as all the other ones I own have equal pan sizes. I much prefer having equal quantities of each shadow but overall the shadow quantity is the same as before.

The peach champagne is the most lackluster shade as it is not as smooth as the other shades. It is not as buttery as the other Maybelline shadows I have but it is still usable for an all over lid color. The two purples have decent pigmentation, not stellar, but not bad. I think these will make beautiful crease colors or outer lid shades. The deep brown is my favorite. I absolutely love dark browns with microshimmer as they are incredibly complex and multipurpose. This shade had the smoothest texture and the best pigmentation.

Did I need another eyeshadow quad? Definitely not. Is this a must have eyeshadow palette? Probably not. Am I happy with the $3 I spent on this? Yes, I am. While the shadows are not as high quality as others I have tried, these are by no means bad shadows. If you can find this at your local CVS on clearance, I recommend trying it out.

2 comments:

  1. i've been eyeing this quad for some time now.. i have the natural smokes and i like the darkest brown shade as well in that quad, i use it as my liner. thanks for this review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this on my shopping list for ages but I wast trying really hard to stop buying eyeshadows. It was pretty hard to find good swatches or reviews of this particular quad so I hope this post was helpful :)

      Delete