Friday, June 22, 2012

Mandom Cleansing Express: The Asian Bioderma?


Mandom Cleansing Express is Japan's version of the Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution which has had overwhelming success in the Western beauty world. Unfortunately Bioderma is ridiculously difficult to obtain in the United States and I refuse to pay the marked up prices that Amazon sellers charge. Maybe when I travel to Europe I can pick up a bottle to try. But until then, Mandom Cleansing Express will do just fine.

I have known about Mandom cleansing waters for several years now but I never took the plunge to try one with no particular reason why. I purchased my bottle at a local Asian beauty store for $16 so it's actually a little more economical than what I would pay for Bioderma if I succumbed to the internet sellers. You can find Mandom retailers online who sell the cleansing waters for around the same price (under $20). Mandom Cleasing Express comes in four formulations: Age Care, Moist, Sebum, and BrightUp. I chose the BrightUp formulation because I always want to lighten my acne scars but realistically I doubt there is a significant different between the formulations.

The packaging, as with  many Asian beauty products, is very well done. The sturdy plastic bottle is an appealing purple shade with simple floral decorations. The cleansing water is dispensed via a pump. Yes, a pump! Something that Bioderma does not have and that I think is very necessary for a cleansing water. The pump dispenses a decent amount of product and it's great for lazy nights when I don't want to be bothered with tipping over a bottle a thousand times just to remove my makeup.

But the real question is, can a cleansing water effectively remove makeup? In short, yes, Mandom Cleansing Express can remove makeup well. Even eye makeup comes off surprisingly well without any stinging or irritation. However, it takes a fair amount of product and cotton rounds to remove all my makeup. If I'm wearing light eye makeup, I can get away with using two squirts of product on a cotton pad to take everything off. If my eye makeup is heavier, I can count on using a cotton round for each eye. But for my face, I typically need two cotton rounds and multiple squirts of cleansing water to remove every trace of makeup.

Although Mandom's Cleansing Water is effective and gentle, I prefer cleansing oils since they last me much longer. If you have very sensitive skin and you do not like using oil to remove your makeup, Mandom's Cleansing Express may be a good product for you. If you're a fan of Bioderma, the pump packaging of this might be your new favorite.

To see a demo of Mandom's BrightUp Cleansing Express in action, watch the video below!

10 comments:

  1. I tried the Sebum version a couple of years ago and wasn't too fond of it. Maybe because I was already so use to how quickly and good of a job cleansing oils worked. Definitely not for someone who wears anything more than powder or light foundation! (IMO) or else the bottle, like you said, definitely doesn't last very long >__<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually wear a few layers of makeup and this takes it off well but cleansing oils work much more efficiently. I'm surprised you don't like this much because your makeup is usually very light! I think a lot of people are wary of cleansing oils because of the word oil or they don't like mineral oil. I have never experienced a bad reaction to mineral oil so cleansing oils are a staple in my routine!

      Delete
  2. i found that im loving this makeup cleanser around my high school time. maybe because i wore much of a minimal makeup. so its kinda easy to take off. then i find my self not liking it around this years when i tend to have a bit of a heavier makeup on. but still, i find it very nice because there were no oil content in it. refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this seems to be better for people who wear more minimal makeup. At least you really enjoyed it when you were younger :)

      Delete
  3. oh this reminds me, I tried the shisheido perfect oil cleanser that you had posted about and unfortunately, I really don't like it. =( It's so greasy (right?!) and takes forever to rinse off, even if I wash with a cleanser afterwards. However, a cream cleanser I got from whole foods feels a lot better - rinses off quickly, not as greasy, - and pretty much removes all makeup. It's by Earth Science. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shisheido Perfect Oil is actually quite light compared to other cleansing oils! I think it's probably because you're used to regular cleansers. It takes maybe 30 seconds for me to rinse my face with water to emulsify the cleansing oil. It's all personal preference really :) I'll keep the Earth Science one in mind but I like the feeling of cleansing oils ^^

      Delete
    2. hehe maybe! Well my solution, so as to not waste it, is to use it in the shower on heavier makeup days because it's easier to rinse off in there. My arms start getting reallll tired when I do it at the sink. :P

      Delete
    3. Do you apply the cleansing oil after you're in the shower already? Cleansing oils are meant to be applied to dry skin and then you add water later. I just bring my face closer to the sink so my arms don't get tired lol....

      Delete
  4. I am glad you posted this review because I was about to close my eyes and push pay button to purchase a very expensive bottle of Bioderma online. I am going to have to look around for this product in Asian beauty stores here. I love Sephora cleansing water, but I have been wanting to try Bioderma for a while now, so hopefully, I can get a hold of Mandom one for a cheaper alternative. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find this product near you! I think most cleansing waters should be about the same if their main active ingredients are the same. :)

      Delete