Saturday, June 30, 2012

First Impressions: L'oreal Colour Riche Caresse Stick in Sunset Angora


My makeup buying ban crumbled this past month and I have a ma-husive collective drugstore haul to show you all soon. I prefer to show you hauls, preliminary swatches, and all that good stuff before a proper review but I won't be able to film and photograph the haul properly for another week or so. I picked up this gem of a lipstick and I really can't wait any longer to show swatches because I know a lot of people are searching for swatches of these! The L'oreal Caresse Lipsticks were first launched in the UK and developed a strong blogger following. Now they're finally popping up in the states!


I picked up the shade 176 Sunset Angora because it looked like a wearable yet somewhat bright pink shade. The gaudy gold packaging is not exceptionally helpful because there is no clear window to see the actual lipstick shade. I prefer the UK packaging because it is clear and tubular, much more sleek than the one we have here. 


Three swipes of the lipbalm like lipstick yields semi sheer color pay off. This is definitely more pigmented than a tinted lip balm but less opaque than a normal lipstick. There is a noticeable glossy finish.


The color translates nicely on the lips and I can see Sunset Angora being a popular shade out of the range. While the product is glossy, it is not moisturizing and it can highlight imperfections on the lips. I often have dry lips so I have to make sure to apply a good lipbalm before applying the L'oreal Caresse Stick.

I want to grab a few more shades to try as I think the color selection is quite tantalizing. There were a few safe neutrals and some fiery corals that were calling out to me. The deal breaker? These retail for a whopping $10.50 at CVS! If you know me well you'll know I definitely did not pay the full retail price without a deal but still. This is a drugstore lip product we're talking about. The .1 oz size is not exactly a whole lot of product either. 


This is not by any means a comprehensive review as I have not worn the L'oreal Caresse Stick (lipstick?) enough to fully evaluate it. I just can't wait a few weeks to show you all the swatches and my initial thoughts because you're probably wondering if you should go out and buy these now. So far, I'm neutral. If the price were a little lower and the product a bit more moisturizing, I'd recommend these in a heartbeat.

Stay tuned for the big-ish drugstore haul that should be up in a week or two!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely color :) I love Loreal lipsticks in general :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any other Loreal lipsticks because they're so darn expensive compared to other drugstore brands! They're all around $10 and I refuse to pay full price :( I usually like highend lipsticks and lipglosses better so I'd rather save up for those.

      Delete
  2. That's one of the colors that I wanted to pick up, but my local targets are both out every time I go in. I'm waiting for Ulta to get it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My CVS had every color in stock when I purchased this because the display just went up overnight :) It's so nice to have a drugstore two blocks from your house haha!

      Delete
  3. That is a nice color and the pigmentation is pretty decent for me. The price on the other hand is a bit too much for what I'd like to pay for a drugstore product. I'll have to wait for a sale if I decide to get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'd wait for a really good sale before buying these because the cost is insane for drugstore....

      Delete